Friday, April 4, 2008

That's why I'm so big!!!! 14 weeks

This week, we had a great appointment at a high-risk OB to do a test called the Nuchal Transleucency test. There are only a select number of OBs who can preform this elective test, and they are usually high-risk OBs. This test screens for downs... however it is not a diagnostic test, just a screening test. (We opted to do this test so that we would could be best prepared for our little one.) They measure the fluid on the back of the baby's neck and anything under 3cm is considered normal. The higher the amount of fluid, the more likely you are to deliver a baby with downs syndrome. Fortunately, the OB measured our little baby's neck at 1.8cm... very small... he said he has many babies with this exact measurement and was very comfortable with it. YAY!

He also took measurements of the baby and said that we are about a week ahead of schedule based on the size of the baby!!! This was definitely music to my ears, considering I am already showing at 14 weeks!!! Now I have the perfect excuse as to why my stomach "popped out" last weekend. My suit pants FIT Friday, and by Monday I could not button them!!!

Lastly, we asked Dr. Kirshon to confirm it's a boy. He looked at us with a smile and said, "OH YEAH, it's definitely a BOY!!!" Of course I looked over at David who is staring the ultrasound screen, and all I could see was a huge grin on his face! He's so proud that we can see the package so early!!!

I am posting the picture of his little bottom that confirmed it's a boy, but I'm still a little hesitant to start decorating or buying clothes. I had lunch with my prego girlfriend, Kristin, this week and showed her the picture, which she said looked exactly like the one they got at 14 weeks. She was told it was a boy, then at 16 weeks, her OB retracted that statement and told her it was a girl!!!
WOW! What a resemblance to David! ;)

No comments: