Well well well, about an hour after I wrote my update last night, I was on my way to the hospital again. There was a little more bleeding, so my doctor told me to go straight into the hospital to be monitored and check. They did some tests and everything seemed to be checking out fine. We were waiting on bloodwork for 3 hours, so David and I called my doctor and told her we just wanted to go home and to follow up if the test results did not come back in good light. The three of us were sure that the blood work was going to come back fine. They were doing a KB test, which tests to see if the maternal blood and fetal blood have mixed. If they have mixed, this is confirmation of a placenta abruption, which is quite serious.
This morning, I got a phone call from my OB that unfortunately my test came back positive for having higher than normal levels of fetal blood mixed with my blood. :( We were stunned and surprised, as they performed this same test in Canada and it was negative. As of now, the baby is fine - still moving and heart rate is great. But, I am on strict bedrest - as in going to the bathroom only.
The implications for a placenta abruption are very scary, but with bedrest and proper monitoring, we're hoping to go full term with Harrison. I'll be seeing a high risk OB on Monday, then my OB twice a week until I deliver. The main concern is that the placenta does not tear anymore. Since this is the tissue that delivers oxygen and nutrients to the baby, it's important that there is no more bleeding or tearing as to not comprise Harrison's health. The risk of hemmoraging is low, but with the blood flow to the uterus being 1 liter /minute, it would only take a few minutes for a large tear to become fatal for both a baby and his mom. (this is highly unlikely and very rare, but still something we have to consider) We are taking every precaution necessary and David will be working from home as much as possible for a while.
Since I will be bored out of my mind, I'll keep the blog updated for anyone who wants to track Harrison's progress!
Keep your fingers crossed for another 5 weeks - we really want to get to 36 weeks and are hopeful to go full term and continue on with a normal, healthy delivery. If the placenta does not tear further, our doctor feels confident that we will be able to deliver at full term and everything will go smoothly.
No comments:
Post a Comment